Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Google Books find

We had to find an interesting book in the Google Books search engine for today's class and I was relieved to see that they have Oscar Wilde's 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' in the archives. I have not actually started reading it yet but I love Oscar Wilde and reading the summary of the book I think it sounds so unusal and interesting and also very clever.

You all must feel profoundly cheated because of the summary I inserted here in the morning. Yes, I stole it off Wikipedia but I was in a hurry. So moving on to interesting tidbits and my expectations. This book is considered one of the last gothic horror books ever written. I think Oscar Wilde and gothic horror in one sentence should make everybody curious. The book also has a strong Faustian theme and deals with some subtle homosexuality which caused controversy back in the day and I think it still does to some point. For those of you who like to be blinded by the stunning lights of Hollywood, the character of Dorian Gray was also included in the blockbuster, 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' and if you liked him there you might like to find out more about his background.

The novel tells the story of young Dorian Gray, who's beauty captures the artist who is painting his portrait. While wandering in said artist's garden he meets a friend of the painter's. This friend introduces Dorian to modern views of hedonism. Dorian is affected so much by this revelation that he wishes for his portrait to age instead of him. His wish is granted and this power pushes him into several acts of debauchery, while his portrait shows all the effects these acts had on Dorian's soul, each sin manifestating as a disfigurement or sign of aging.

Dark and mysterious, isn't it?

You can read the book here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Original post about a great piece by a great artist.