Monday, October 6, 2008

First post, LOTS of movie-talk

Took me a long time to finally start my blog. I am watching 'Pushing Daisies' at the moment, an amazing surrealistic new TV series on Viasat 3 and also trying to predict what tomorrow's RWS test will include. No clue. I was also unable to get ahold of a copy of High Fidelity but I had such a horrible week last week: turns out I am not going to get away with my tonsils intact in the end. I took two doses of antibiotics but I am still ill, very much so. So surgery for me in the near future. :(

On to lighter topics: my sister and me did not miss this year's Moziünnep like we had in the past. We watched 5 movies in 3 days in Pécs Plaza, Cinema City.
Dark Knight - the new Batman movie, which is totally overrated but if you are a Gary Oldman fan (I am) then it is a real gem.
Deception - an interesting and exciting erotic thriller with Ewan McGregor. The plot is very good but sadly they messed up the ending.
Journey to the Center of the Earth - let me say just one thing: it is not as bad as they say it is. :D
Hellboy II - we have already seen this at home but my sister really wanted to watch it in a real movie theatre because it has amazing visuals. We both love comic adaptations and this is one of our favourites so we enjoyed it.
My Best Friend's Girl - now this is a movie worth watching in my opinion but I do not think it is for everybody. :D One of the main characters is played by Dane Cook, an American stand up comedy performer and I am a huge fan of him. His unique style can be undoubtedly felt throughout the movie, which includes a lot of rude expressions and sexual remarks beside a great deal of humour. I loved it. :)

I also watched 'Ironman' at home and developed a huge crush on Robert Downey Jr. I always respected and loved him for his work but I found out a lot of new things about him last week. For example he has an album out. In my opinion it is quite horrible, like a Phil Collins musical mixed with a mediocre lounge album. He also uses a lot of high notes in his songs even though his voice is at its best when he sings the deepest notes. Let me illustrate his real singing talent with this little snippet of the legendary TV series, Ally McBeal (a series I sadly hated with passion, thus missing this scene when it aired):



I took a little walk down Memory Lane and dug out some old videocassettes and found one of my favourite movies, 'Wonderboys' also including Robert as an eccentric gay publisher. I recommend it to everyone, absolutely funny but with quite a lot of meaning and a spectacular cast: Michael Douglas, Tobey Maguire, Frances McDormand and of course RDJ.

The last "cinematic adventure", as Dane Cook likes to call watching a movie, I had was Zodiac, a thriller "surprisingly" starring Robert. :) It tells the story of a famous serial killer of the '70s in San Francisco and Mr Downey plays a journalist who is investigating the case but loses his job after he gets threathened by the killer and turns to various drugs and alcohol to ease his paranoia. The main character of the movie is Jake Gyllenhaal by the way. It is two and a half hours long, too long in my opinion: due to the absolute incompetence of the police, the movie has long periods where everything happens very slowly but at least we can say it is quite realistic, since it reflects the helplessness of the characters concerned.

I hope you find my little review issue helpful in choosing your next cinematic adventure. :)

P.s.: MCkey left me a comment about how he thinks Joe resembles Robert Downey Jr. so I decided to just stick a little picture here where he sports that authentic Joe-look. :D
robert downey jr, rdj, robert, downey, jr

2 comments:

Makói Krisztián said...

i like robert downey jr. too, and my favourite movie from him is the kiss kiss bang bang with val kilmer, it definetly worth watching. i liked your post and a video was also great. so keep it up, congratulations.

/is it just me who thinks that joe has a similar look like downey jr.? :) /

szoszo said...

I have to admit: you are absolutely right :D I'm going to post a pic about RDJ that has that authentic Joe-look :D