Saturday, February 21, 2009

First post : Oscars

Welcome to the first post of the year!

Since there's no better time than the last weekend before the big occasion, I decided to restart the blog with a post about the categories of the Academy Awards I find relevant. That's a bit ambivalent in itself because I don't really find the Oscars all that prestigious or anything and most of the time I don't agree with the choices of the Academy but it's still a nice thing if you have someone to cheer for and the results always make a good conversation topic. Though the point of the awards is that it only evaluates the artists' work by the single movie nominated, I can't do that since I haven't seen most of them, I can only judge by sympathy and filmography. So let's see the nominations.

Actor In A Leading Role
  • Richard Jenkins in "The Visitor"
  • Frank Langella in "Frost/Nixon"
  • Sean Penn in "Milk"
  • Brad Pitt in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
  • Mickey Rourke in "The Wrestler"
Honestly I have no preference in this category. The one thing I know: I really don't want Brad Pitt to win. Even if I don't find the Oscars prestigious, other people may and I don't think he's got anything to do with prestige, haha. I have no idea who the Academy will choose. I heard Mickey Rourke was very good in The Wrestler. So...
Academy: Mickey Rourke
Me: Mickey Rourke

Actor In A Supporting Role
  • Josh Brolin in "Milk"
  • Robert Downey Jr. in "Tropic Thunder"
  • Philip Seymour Hoffman in "Doubt"
  • Heath Ledger in "The Dark Knight"
  • Michael Shannon in "Revolutionary Road"
The media was high on Heath Ledger getting nominated everywhere but if someone saw The Dark Knight, well... I loved Heath, followed his career from the beginning and respected him very deeply, his passing was a horrible loss to me personally and to the world of cinema but I don't think this part of his career was so outstanding as others and I wouldn't like it if he just got awards because it was the last job he was able to finish. Obviously I want Bob Downey to win, hands down. Not only because I adore him - I adore Heath Ledger too - but because he was absolutely outstanding in Tropic Thunder. I'm surprised that the Academy actually considered that movie because it's so full of cheap - but nevertheless entertaining - humor. I thought they'd find it too much beneath their "standards". But that just shows how amazing Rob's acting was (or how few the options were in this category, hehe). I also wouldn't mind if Phil Seymour won.
Academy: Heath Ledger
Me: Robert Downey Jr.

Actress In A Leading Role
  • Anne Hathaway in "Rachel Getting Married"
  • Angelina Jolie in "Changeling"
  • Melissa Leo in "Frozen River"
  • Meryl Streep in "Doubt"
  • Kate Winslet in "The Reader"
I don't know what the Academy thought nominating Anne Hathaway. That is around as bad as if they nominated Jennifer Love Hewitt for I Know What You Did Last Summer or whatever. I sure hope they won't stoop so low as to give her an award too. Wait, no. That's not even an option. Kate Winslet admitted that she perfected her "not-winning" face since she had so many occasions to practice in the past but I think she's the deal this year. She already swiped in all the awards at the Golden Globes. I love her and I also wouldn't mind if Angelina Jolie or Meryl Streep got a little statue. Although I heard Changeling is bad, I doubt it is.
Academy: Kate Winslet
Me: Angelina Jolie

Actress In A Supporting Role

  • Amy Adams in "Doubt"
  • Penélope Cruz in "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"
  • Viola Davis in "Doubt"
  • Taraji P. Henson in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
  • Marisa Tomei in "The Wrestler"
Sadly I don't really have anything to say concerning this category. I really hate Penélope Cruz and I really like Marisa Tomei so I'm going to go with the opposites.
Academy: Penélope Cruz
Me: Marisa Tomei

Directing
  • "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
    David Fincher
  • "Frost/Nixon"
    Ron Howard
  • "Milk"
    Gus Van Sant
  • "The Reader"
    Stephen Daldry
  • "Slumdog Millionaire"
    Danny Boyle
Hmm. I heard The Curious Case... is very monumental visually and that Slumdog Millionaire is generally an amazing piece so I'd say one of them is likely to win. But I'm really in the dark here.
Academy: David Fincher
Me: David Fincher

Original Score

The nominees are really not important, since I want Danny Elfman to win, bwhahahaha. He's one of my favourite composers and an award given to him is always deserved.

Best Motion Picture

  • "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall and Ceán Chaffin, Producers
  • "Frost/Nixon"
    Brian Grazer, Ron Howard and Eric Fellner, Producers
  • "Milk"
    Dan Jinks and Bruce Cohen, Producers
  • "The Reader" Nominees to be determined
  • "Slumdog Millionaire" Christian Colson, Producer
Again I have no preference. I haven't seen any of the films and I only heard of three. I really have no idea who could win either. So maybe some of you who read this could leave a comment about your tips!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Some fairly good predictions there!

Sir Gabrie said...

Well,as for the Vicky Cristina Barcelona,I found it a big stack of clichés,but I think Penelopé Cruz acted that cliché well.
I have seen the Benjamin Button and the Slumdog millionaire already.The former is really monumental,just like Forest Gump(I think the screenplay writer is the same).The latter is nice as well,but I think the children acted more and better,than that guy(who is familiar to me from Skins)